Epping Signal Cabin
1949 - 1996
Built to the standard London Transport Type design for signal cabins, Epping opened in 1949 with a 47-lever Westinghouse 'N2M' frame.
1949 Epping Lever Frame 1996
The line to Ongar was finally electrified on 18 November 1957. Freight traffic continued until 18 April 1966.
By September 1994 there were only 21 operational levers on the frame and with the closure of the Ongar section this was reduced to 14 levers, although to operate the normal service only seven levers were needed. The Central Line was re-signalled to modern standards with all movements being controlled from Wood Lane Signal Control Centre. On Sunday 28, July 1996, the 01.02 departure was the last train to be controlled and the cabin was switched out. For a short while all points and signals at Epping were controlled by a temporary panel in Loughton signal cabin prior to the eventual transfer of operations to Wood Lane.
Regrettably the original frame was removed after closure however, the 83-lever frame from Hainault cabin was secured as a replacement. It was dismantled and the components were moved to Epping over the weekend of 21/22nd May 2005 and stored in the Relay Room.