Epping Signal Cabin
1949 - 1996
Built to the standard London Transport Type design for signal cabins, Epping opened in 1949 with a 47-lever Westinghouse 'N2M' frame.
1949 Epping Lever Frame 1996
The branch was re-signalled to the then LPTB standard of two-aspect long-range colour-light stop signals (red and green) plus fog repeaters (with a black 'F' on the yellow aspect), which could be switched on when required. To give the necessary stopping distances for steam hauled freight trains distant signals of the externally floodlit disc type showing a black fish-tailed bar on a yellow background were provided. A new brick and concrete signal cabin was built at Epping complete with a Westinghouse N2M power frame with 47 miniature levers and illuminated diagram. The cabin was coded 'LW' and it was commissioned ready for electric trains working through to Epping from 25 September 1949. The new cabin replaced the original Great Eastern Railway signal box, which had stood on the down platform of Epping station.
The 47-lever frame was necessary because freight traffic was still playing its part on the railway. Epping had a large goods yard and gasworks siding, in addition there was still a locomotive shed and carriage sidings to cater for the Epping-Ongar services and early morning services to London that were still steam hauled. The line to Ongar was finally electrified on 18 November 1957. Freight traffic continued until 18 April 1966.
By September 1994 there were only 21 operational levers on the frame and with the closure of the Ongar section this was reduced to 14 levers, although to operate the normal service only seven levers were needed. The Central Line was re-signalled to modern standards with all movements being controlled from Wood Lane Signal Control Centre. On Sunday 28, July 1996, the 01.02 departure was the last train to be controlled and the cabin was switched out. For a short while all points and signals at Epping were controlled by a temporary panel in Loughton signal cabin prior to the eventual transfer of operations to Wood Lane.
Regrettably the original frame was removed after closure however, the 83-lever frame from Hainault cabin was secured as a replacement. It was dismantled and the components were moved to Epping over the weekend of 21/22nd May 2005 and stored in the Relay Room.